Pizza is a widely known and loved dish. There are so many ways to prepare and top it. The truth is, though – pizza doesn’t have to be complicated. Here is an idea for a pizza “al fresco” style, with fresh ingredients. Traditionally pizza is topped with melted mozzarella cheese, but in the al fresco style, cheese is optional or not typically included. Feel free to explore different toppings and options.
You will need:
Pizza crust, prebaked from local vendor or market
Diced tomatoes (can be seasoned or unseasoned according to taste)
Pizza-style tomato sauce
Fresh basil leaves
Other toppings as desired (ideas: prepared mushrooms, pan seared green or yellow peppers, etc)
Baking sheet or Pizza pan, depending on crust size/shape
Bake-safe Parchment Paper (optional)
How to Prepare:
- Take the pre-made pizza crust and lay the crust out on a baking dish, with the dish or baking pan either lightly coated with cooking spray or lined with baking-safe Parchment Paper so that it does not stick. You may also feel free to make and pre-bake the pizza dough in advance according to your own recipe.
- With a pastry brush, lightly spread the olive oil in a thin layer over the top of the crust.
- Open and drain the canned, diced tomatoes. Spread them in a thin layer across your crust.
- Spoon and spread the pizza sauce across the dough among the diced tomatoes.
- Wash and trim fresh basil. Lay the basil leaves, trimmed, in a single layer across the top of the pizza.
- Add the remaining prepared toppings as desired. I added fresh mushrooms and drizzled additional olive oil. This is also the time to season to taste with dried herbs such as oregano or italian seasoning.
- Bake the pizza in the oven according to the prepared crust package instructions.
- Voila! Your pizza is done and ready to serve.
Al fresco is a delicious and healthy alternative to the traditional pizza style. It is a quick and breezy meal concept for you to prepare and share with your loved ones.